Thursday 5 December 2013

Olive Oil Scottish Oatcakes

Dammit, Scotland.  Dammit, dammit, dammit.  You were so wonderful to us this winter up until now.  You were mild and warm and sunny and calm, and everything was well in the world up until now.  What is this, on my birthday you come with your 80mph wind and your rain and your snow.  I knew it.  I knew you wouldn't keep calm for so long.  I knew you were going to hit us with a blizzard when we least expect it.
This is just something lovely I found on Twitter to make things better

Urgh.  This post was supposed to be a tribute to Scotland, because I love oatcakes.  I really really do.  They're delightful things.
 I always just buy a box of them for less than a pound and eat through them in a day.  Perfect study snacks.  They're perfect for canapes, topped with some cheese and some jam, or just served alongside with cheese.  The problem is that the commercial ones are often made with palm oil so I decided to make some with olive oil.
First time I made them I followed this recipe that used 100% oats only, but they didn't quite..come together and I ended up having to eat everything with a spoon -- they still tasted good but..not quite what I was going for.

So then I followed a recipe that incorporates a bit of flour as well and they turned out well.  Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil here so the taste of it really comes through. 

I'm currently consuming them with some hot tea because it's so cold and it's so scary because you can hear the wind just screaming outside.  Eeee. 

 Recipe adapted from BBC GoodFood
Ingredients
60g whole wheat flour
100g medium cut oats
125g rolled oats
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g extra virgin olive oil
60-80ml boiling water

Method
Preheat the oven to 190C

Mix the flour, oats, salt, sugar and baking soda together.  Then add the olive oil and mix well.

Finally add the boiling water, bit my bit, just enough so that it comes together as a rough dough.   Roll it out on a floured surface to about 5mm thick and cut out rounds or desired shapes.  Place on greased and lined tray and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden.

Eat them when they've cooled. 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, I've just popped a batch of these in the oven. A (relatively cool) Australian summer day here. I hope the Scottish wind has eased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. venta aceite de oliva

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner